Gamma Xi Chapter - Texas Tech University
Texas Technological College opened its doors to 910 students in the fall of 1925. Delta Gamma Fraternity was fifty years old.
In 1953-54 Delta Gamma was invited along with Alpha Chi Omega to colonize during the school year. Five other NPC groups were already established on campus.
At the Gamma Xi installation on March 6, 1954, 17 collegians and 36 patronesses (alumnae initiates) were initiated. Gamma Xi was the sixth Delta Gamma chapter in Texas.
In 1958, 20 sororities and fraternities formed a housing corporation and purchased 25 acres of land that had once belonged to the parents of Carrie Bell Turner, Gamma Xi. Named Greek Circle, the odd-numbered lots were given to the sororities and the even numbered to the fraternities. Delta Gamma drew lot number five. The house, which cost $93,000 to build, was dedicated on March 16, 1974. The first Gamma Xi lodge was in the 700 block of College Avenue, the second house was in the 2200 block of 19th, and the third house was at 2424 19th.
The first honor received by Gamma Xi colony was at the annual Panhellenic luncheon in which they were presented a trophy for the best skit. The first social function was a spring dance in which other groups were invited to attend.
Women of the original member class decided at the 25th anniversary of Gamma Xi that if they were to have a stereotype, they preferred to be known as the "friendly sorority."
Gamma Xi has won several province awards over the years, including best chapter in Texas in 1980 and the prestigious Patricia Peterson Danielson Fraternity Award in 1997, 2002, 2003 and 2004. The chapter has initiated 2,203+ members since receiving its charter in 1954. 24 Alumnae have been awarded the Cable Award, 4 the Oxford Award, and one each the Shield and Loyalty Awards. The chapter has donated $63,000.00+ to our national philanthropy Service for Sight.